Simple ways to keep your home cooler in summer
Depending on where you live, summer’s energy bills can be as brutal as the temperature outdoors. Here are some simple things you can do to reduce your cooling costs:
- Close the shades and drapes. Keeping the sun out can reduce the temperature inside your home by several degrees.
- Use the unit’s fan settings wisely. When it’s humid, keep your unit’s fan running, even if the air conditioner is off. It will circulate the air and keep you more comfortable. Ceiling fans are also a big help, but remember, fans cool people, not rooms! Don’t waste energy running them if you’re not in the room.
- Close any gaps or leaks. Don’t lose cold air to leaky ducts or gaps around your window frames. Caulk outside around windows and use weatherstripping indoors to seal in the cold air.
- Regularly clean your filter. This helps your unit perform optimally, which saves you money.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Setting higher temperatures for the hours when you’re not home can dramatically cut your costs. Set properly, a programmable thermostat can save you about $180 per year.
Check out the video below to learn more about Friedrich's Chill Premier Series from the Weekend Handyman.
See the full line of Friedrich products
Friedrich is committed to helping customers find the right cooling solution for virtually any need. Our expansive product line includes a range of options for the residential and commercial markets, including room air conditioners, through-the-wall units, ductless split systems, packaged terminal air conditioners, portables, and dehumidifiers.